December 12, 2007

fear

The babies and I skipped skiing. Instead we're going shopping and to lunch with friends after preschool. There's always next week. :)

Every time my children are out of my sight in a (somewhat) dangerous situation I'm filled with angst. Irrational fears invade my every thought. What if they hit a patch of ice and tumble off the road down the side of the mountain? What about an avalanche? Dh, reading my mind, kissed me on the forehead and said “The chances of us dying in an avalanche are, like, one in a million. Love ya, bye!”

Right. I know that. But… but is that correct? The chance of me being bitten by a shark is pretty slim as I sit here on the couch in Colorado, but what are my chances if I were actually swimming in the ocean? I don’t know. Do statistics take those considerations into account?

No comments: